Wednesday, February 13, 2008

More Kudos to Congress for Spending Its Very Few Working Hours on Roger Clemens, Brian McNamee and Andy Pettite, and Artfully Dodging Relevance


By the Power of Lassitude, the United States Congress stands a chance of making me completely obsolete. Read this New York Times article about the way they're burning up their precious few on-the-job hours with issues that benefit absolutely no one. Here's a snippet:

At the end of his statement, Mr. Clemens said, “How in the world can I prove a negative? No matter what we discuss here today, I am never going to have my name restored. I know that a lot of people want me to say that I have taken steroids and be done with it. But I cannot in good conscience admit to doing something that I did not do; even if it would be easier to do.”

But Mr. McNamee, who spoke immediately after Mr. Clemens, insisted he was lying. “I have no reason to lie, and every reason not to — if I do lie, I will be prosecuted,” he said. “I was never promised any special treatment or consideration for fingering star players.”

High drama here, people, on a par with any given very special Lifetime Channel movie starring Tracey Gold. Congratulations and a hearty Captain Give-a-Damn™ salute go out to committee chair Henry Waxman for going the extra mile to squeeze every ounce of distraction out of this skillful ruse.

No comments: